Pages

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Fits Like An Old Shoe

My very first pair of running shoes is on its way to the trash.  Quite a tragedy really. 
Ok, not really.  But these were the shoes that covered those first miles with me when I first started running.  And when they were broken down too far to keep pounding the pavement they got retired to "everyday" shoes.  And when they're replacements also got demoted, these shoes found a new home on the floor of my car as "dirty shoes".  Perfect for walks in creeks and hanging out in the mud.  And perfect for walking dogs when I'm volunteering at the animal shelter.  And because they live in the car there's no risk of tracking anything "questionable" into the house.


But now it's finally time to say goodbye.  While I would prefer to donate things I don't need anymore, these shoes are a bit past their prime (like years past).  So trash it is.

Since we're on the subject of my first running experiences, I'll mention how I got started.  I used the Couch-to-5k program, which was pretty great.  It's a 9 week plan that gets you running 5k (3.1 miles for those who can't visualize what a "k" would feel like).  It's nice because it really takes you up slowly and you have concrete goals to hit each week.  And it only takes 30 minutes a day, 3 days a week, so that's a win.  I've been running off and on for a few years now.  Very casually, mind you.  Never further than about 3 miles, a few times a week.  I have dreams of a half-marathon but for now I'm still in the "hobby" phase instead of the "obsession" phase that would take. 

No comments:

Post a Comment